Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Not All Breaks Are Bad

It has been quite the hiking (oh, and blogging) hiatus. Last weekend I went for a quick hike by my house that made me realize how much I miss the feeling of being out in the woods, disconnecting from the rest of the world for a few minutes. Clearing my mind.

I just started reading Thrive-- which is all about reconnecting with life outside career (when you're really into your career). My-- albeit quick-- hike, though, has got me thinking. I'm only a few chapters in to Thrive, but the concept of meditation as a way to teach your mind to clear on cue is interesting. Being mindful of the moment is a practice that anyone could use.

Thrive uses one example of the shower moment, as I'll call it. You're in the shower, but you're listening to the chatter of your mind-- the everything you have to do that day, everything you did the previous day, and everything you'd ever like to do in your life/should have done with your life by now chatter. You're doing this, all of this, instead of listening to the drip of the water.

What would our lives be like if we could clear our minds in any moment and focus on the drip, drip, drip?

Hiking gets me to that place. With summer right around the corner, I hope to get to "that place" more often.

As always let me know if you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment